CONTEST RULES 2018
- Entries must necessarily be characterized as quilts, consisting of three layers (top, batting and back), joined by quilting.
- Individual or group (two or more people) entries will be accepted.
- Limit of 3 entries per person or group regardless of category.
- All pieces should be first entries in “Festival Internacional de Quilt e Patchwork em Gramado”.
- The entry quilts can be personally picked up at the festival on the 23th of September of 2018 from 9 am to 5 pm at the event, or mailed back at the owners expense.
- Entries must have a 4 inches sleeve casing for hanging as well as a cloth label sewn to the back with the name of the piece, year it was finished and also the name, address and telephone number of the entrant.
- Ship entry in a cloth bag with an identical label as above in a sturdy box.
- The authors of the quilts give JMNetto & Cia. Ltda. the right to photograph the pieces for publication, advertising or promotional use. Images of quilts become the property of Festival de Quilt e Patchwork.
- The quilts on display are not covered by insurance.
- J.M.Netto & Cia. Ltda. will take every precaution to protect the quilts on display, but cannot be responsible for
- To enter, fill the entry form and mail it along the quilt and a fee of US$ 60 (sixty dolars) per piece. You must pay the view, with the piece.
- Each piece must be accompanied by a Registration Form (annexe) filled in all fields by the same author.
- The choice of the category to be entered is the part of the author provided the same and may be transferred category by the jury when it considered that the part will be valued with the transfer.
- The entries must be sent until 20th august 2018 to the following address:
- J.M.NETTO – Caixa Postal 329
Rua Santos Dumont, 330 – Sala 04 – Bairro Piratini – Gramado/RS – Brasil
– CEP 95670-000
- All the shipping expenses are the owner’s responsibility.
- Only the first place of each category will receive a ribbon, a certificate and a trophy.
- The awards will be presented at the “AWARD PARTY”, on day, time and place to be announced by J.M.NETTO.
· The awards are : rosette and trophy.
- The jury will be composed of 3 judges invited by JMNetto & Cia. Ltda.
- Family members and employees of the show management and all judges are not eligible.
- The quilts will be judged before the opening of the Festival with the labels covered.
- Judges will select the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in each category (if the quilts meet a quality level determined by the jury); and the special prizes bellow:
- BEST OF SHOW
- BEST USE OF COLOUR (only for original designs)
- BEST MACHINE QUILTING
- BEST HAND QUILTING
- Each judge will grant a HONORABLE MENTION.
- If there is only ONE entry in a certain category, there will be NO prize in this category.
The entries of the competition will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- General appearance:
- Visual impact:
- Quilting pattern:
In the category PANEL ARTISTIC will evaluate the visual impact, creativity, innovation, execution and especially the plastic aspect .
- TRADITIONAL WALL HANGING:
- Quilts based on traditional style patterns and sets.
- INNOVATIVE WALL HANGING:
- Quilts with fundamental deviation from traditional patterns and sets.
- PICTORIAL WALL HANGING:
- Quilts that illustrate a recognizable image, such as wildlife, cityscapes, people and scenes.
ATT: WALL HANGING SIZE: length+width must exceed 121 cm (38,53 inches) but not exceed 319 cm (125,5 inches).
- ART QUILT WALL HANGING: an original quilt, where the artist’s expression is the main focus, with no rules to follow. length+width must exceed 121 cm (38,53 inches) but not exceed 319 cm (125,5 inches).
- WHOLECLOTH WALL HANGING: quilts consisting of one whole fabric, not pieced, where the quilting is the focus. length+width must exceed 121 cm (38,53 inches) but not exceed 319 cm (125,5 inches).
- FIRST ENTRY:
- Wall hanging size; any technique. Should be the first entry of the author in the Festival de Quilt e Patchwork em Gramado.
- BED QUILTS:
- length + width must exceed 320 cm (125,5 inches) but not exceed 520 cm (204 inches). Any techniques may be used.
- SMALL QUILTS:
- Quilts must not exceed 60 cm x 60 cm (23,5 inches x 23,5 inches) with any theme and technique.
Quilts made with traditional style, patterns , sets and techniques. Size must not exceed 60 cm x 60 cm (23,5 inches x 23,5 inches) and blocks should be no larger than 12 cm x 10 cm (3,14 inches x3,14 inches). Patterns should reflect reduced scale and miniaturization.
ACQUISITION PRIZE :
QuiltBrasil® will acquire a piece for R$ 2.500,00 regardless of size and category. The piece will be chosen among the ones whose authors gave permission by ticking the box on the entry form. The responsibility for the selection of the quilt will be entirely of QuiltBrasil ® which, from there on, will have all the rights upon this quilt.